Thursday, August 21, 2008

Joe, Mike, and me

Laura Domitz is a friend and long-time member of the Fandom Association of Central Texas. She's also the tireless photographer that shoots candid photos of me and countless others at cons everywhere. I call her photos "sniper shots" because I rarely see Laura coming until she's taken her shot. This past weekend at Armadillocon, I watched her studiously catalog stacks of prints (that she printed with her own money) so that she could gift them to the lucky folks in the photos. She's one-of-a-kind. Over the years, Laura's captured every conceivable facial expression of mine and frankly, a lot of expressions I wish I didn't conceive. Recently she gave me this photograph she shot at the Nebula Awards in March. It's one of the very few photos of me that I'll cherish forever. Left to right -- Joe R. Lansdale, 2008 SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock, and me, after Mike was given SFWA's big honor. Besides the occasion of the photo, it's meaningful because the first covers I ever illustrated were for these two authors. Pretty cool. Thanks, Laura! :)

2 Comments:

Blogger ces said...

That's wonderful of her! Please tell her that all of us who read your blog really appreciate her photography and persistence - especially in getting shots of facial expressions whose owners wish she hadn't caught!

12:01 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Christine. :) I owe you an email soon, but it's been swampy over here with persistent deadlines and two cons back-to-back.....but hopefully soon. :) Hope you're well over there!

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home