Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pablo Picasso's Words of Wisdom

Wow. Two great finds today. Discovered a site called Paintalicious which spotlights various mixed-media artists. Can't believe I'd never heard of this site before! Worth checking out regularly.

The other great find -- Inspiring stuff for anyone toiling in the art trenches...Paintalicious has a post featuring seven quotes from the Man himself, Pablo Picasso. (Above photo -- a classic by Gjon Mili.)

1. "He can who thinks he can, and he can't who thinks he can't. This is an inexorable, indisputable law."

2. "I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

3. "Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working."

4. "Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone."

5. "Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not."

6. "If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes."

7. "Youth has no age."

Paintalicious also include a couple other Picasso quotes, and this last one is too good: "Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot, others transform a yellow spot into the sun."

I'm not sure which one I love more: the previous one, or #5. I feel like painting those in big letters on my ceiling.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

#3 for me. I love that with a love that is deep and true and lasting.

4:56 AM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Yeah, hard to go wrong with #3, isn't it, Chaz?

1:21 PM  
Blogger ces said...

Quote #5 reminds me of President Kennedy's infamous quote from his infamous inaugural speech. All of the quotes are wonderful!

And Paintalicous is WONDERFUL! It immediately went into my Daily Read list. I especially like that it isn't just American artists, but includes artists from all over. The Hory Ma is just so ethereally beautiful . . .

5:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing these. I'd never heard "Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working." before. Really inspiring.

8:31 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Hi, Christine -- Yeah, you're right....I like that Paintalicious does seem to have an international flavor. That's a good thing!

Hi, Eric -- Glad you dug it.....I still owe you an email. Been swamped with deadlines here of late....

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pablo Picasso was certainly a man of deep contradictions. Pablo Picasso was a self avowed communist. However, he was also one of the world's wealthiest artists, leaving his heirs an estate valued at $260 million ($1.5 billion in 2008 dollars) when he died in 1973. Pablo Picasso once remarked, 'I like to live like a poor man, except with lots of money!'

http://www.free-art-images.com/

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home