Thursday, June 18, 2009

2009 Chesley Award Noms!

Received fabulous news late yesterday! I'm nominated for four 2009 Chesley Awards. Wow!! Here's the complete list of nominees. And boy, what a list it is -- there will be some heavyweight decisions in several categories. Here are my four nominated works:


(Above)
Best Cover Illustration: Hardcover
VIEWPOINTS CRITICAL: SELECTED STORIES
Author: L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
Publisher: Tor


(Above)
Best Cover Illustration: Paperback
FAST FORWARD 2
Edited by: Lou Anders
Publisher: Pyr


(Above)
Best Cover Illustration: Magazine
ASIMOV'S
September 2008


(Above)
Best Interior Illustration
ELRIC: THE STEALER OF SOULS
Author: Michael Moorcock
Publisher: Del Rey
(This selection is one of 20+ interior illustrations I did for the book, but I'd have to say this is my personal favorite. Here's an extensive gallery of some my other interiors from the book.)

And finally, shoutouts to Lou Anders -- a 2009 Hugo Award nominee for Best Editor, and a 2009 Chesley Award nominee for Best Art Director (a very rare feat) -- and also fellow Texan Vincent Villafranca for his well-earned 3D nomination. Congrats to all fellow nominees. I'm proud and honored to be amongst you!

5 Comments:

Blogger ces said...

I just saw the listing on SFSignal - that's quite a list! MANY very talented artists there!

congrats, & good luck!

1:27 PM  
Blogger MManzieri said...

My best wishes, fellow! It's a pleasure to attend this race...we haven't yet met personally (one day it will happen, I know), but meeting you on the arena is a honor and a satisfying surrogate... :-)

Your paintings are amazing. Be assured that your creations keep inspiring even artists, not just fans!

Very best, Maurizio

3:08 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Congrats man!

5:21 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Christine! I'm honored to be in their company. :)

Maurizio! Good luck to you too! It'll be a good day when we cross paths in person....

Thanks, Charles!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Great stuff, John, hope you win!

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home