Sunday, June 14, 2009

What If? Jeff Ford & John Picacio Book?

No secret that Jeff Ford is one of my favorite authors. I've done covers for several of his books, including the wraparound cover art for THE EMPIRE OF ICE CREAM (pictured above). For years, we've talked about collaborating on a lush, illustrated book of his much-loved, Fountain Award-winning story "The Annals of Eelin-Ok". I'd love to illustrate this story, but so far, it's proved impossible to shoehorn a major project like that, on-spec, into my busy cover art schedule.

Well -- check this out: Jeff's story centers around the mythology of the Twilmish, a race of fairies who live in sand castles. Later this month, there will be a festival celebrating the Twilmish in Fairfield, CT. Big deal, right? Well, to the best of Jeff's knowledge, he made this mythology up, completely out of his imagination, and was shocked when he found that he was being invited to a celebration like this. The festival organizers believed his story so whole-heartedly that they were sure he was referencing an existing Celtic mythology. And they've now built a festival around it! Awesome!

So, back to this dream book -- he's a World-Fantasy Award-winning writer who's busy, busy writing, and I'm a World Fantasy Award-winning illustrator who's busy, busy illustrating. We both want to illustrate a beautiful hardcover edition of his story "The Annals of Eelin-Ok." Currently, there's no publisher for this book.

If an entire festival can be inspired from this simple short story, then how successful would an illustrated book be?

7 Comments:

Blogger Mair said...

I think it would be hugely successful, John. I have a collection of illustrated books. I would often roam the "childrens" section of bookstores looking for illustrated hardbacks of old fairy tales. Michael Hague and the Brothers Hildebrandt are two of my favorites, along with Brian Froud. I even own a Time-Life series that are wonderfully illustarted. It would be awesome to add a similar hardback book from you to the collection. I hope you can find the time - maybe it just needs to be something long-range so you can squeeze in an illustration here and there between covers. I see it as a slip-cased edition... :-)

10:28 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

I like the way you think, Mair. :) Yeah, Jeff and I think it would be a hit too. More importantly than that though, we think it would be something worth doing. 'Appreciate your thoughts as always!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Fran Friel said...

"lush illustrated"--I'm in!

Gorgeous cover art for THE EMPIRE OF ICE CREAM. If this is a glimpse of the kind of work you'll do together, I can't imagine that it wouldn't be a fabulous success.

Wishing you well.

Best,
Fran Friel

11:00 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Sounds like a winner to me. Wish i had a publishing company to do it.

11:07 AM  
Blogger ces said...

YES!!!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is, "Please, do it!"

1:20 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

All we need now is a good publisher. :)

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home