Friday, July 19, 2013

Stand With Texas Women At Worldcon

How many of you are coming to Worldcon in San Antonio and wish you could do something to "Stand With Texas Women"?

If so, maybe together we can -- and in doing so, you could be the lucky person that takes home a unique art memento.

Here's the scoop -- I'll have a full display of art in the Worldcon Art Show, and amongst the artworks for sale will be a 7-foot tall banner of my Chesley Award-nominated artwork for Brenda Cooper's novel THE CREATIVE FIRE, as pictured here. This artwork is one of the highlights of my 2012 body of work that has been nominated for this year's Hugo Award for Best Professional Artist.

Back in November, I did a writeup about the making of this artwork. This one was always more than just a book cover art job. The art was created to sell a book, but it was also intended to be something more. That's why the alternate title of this image has always been "Girl With Microphone: You Say You Want A Revolution."

The banner is printed on vinyl, measures 24" wide, and is one-of-a-kind. It will be available at my Worldcon Art Show display as an auction item all weekend long. Bidding starts at $100, and the highest bidder wins the banner, while all of the proceeds for this item will go to Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas and their ongoing "Stand With Texas Women" fund.

Worldcon (AKA LoneStarCon 3, or the World Science Fiction Convention) happens August 29th thru September 2nd in San Antonio at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center. See you there!

9 Comments:

Blogger Laurie Mann said...

Excellent!!

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Parris said...

wow. I'll have to see if the wall in the staircase has room...

hey John, can anyone get in on the action? I'm pretty sure I've got a tasty object or two of (someone's) desire stashed in the vault I could bring down to donate.

let me know, OK?

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Margaret Organ-Kean said...

Spiff!

8:55 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Laurie and Margaret. 'Appreciated!

Parris -- I love the idea of bringing more things into the action for this worthy cause, but I suspect my Art Show display space will be pretty limited. As it is, I'm having to decide on certain things staying home because there won't be enough display real estate. Beyond that, if I come up with any more brainstorms for how all of us can help at LSC3, I'll holler for sure. Giant hug to you -- and thank you! :)

8:47 AM  
Blogger Persis said...

I wish I could be there, John, what a fabulous poster, and such a great idea! But, budget constraints and paid gigs take priority. I hope this brings a good donation and is the first of many such. *hugs*

9:41 AM  
Blogger Darlene Marshall said...

Love this! Thank you so much for standing with Texas women, and all of us who support reproductive rights. See you in Texas!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Laureen said...

I am absolutely giddy; I had no idea that there were any other intersections between Texas politics and Texas geekery. THANK YOU!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for supporting this. I live in NJ and attending the Worldcon, I want to donate to the cause. Searching for the t-shirt Stand With Texas Women is how I came across this post. If not available for sale at the Worldcon, should I find the t-shirt at Planned Parenthood or the Democratic HQ or some place else in San Antonio?

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Skyline Displays of Miami said...

Worldcon is always a good time. Thanks for the post.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home