Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Thanks, Jack


I've been meaning to post a little something in memory of the great Jack Williamson. According to Locus Online, memorial services will be held Thursday in New Mexico.

I recounted this anecdote in my art book, but here's the short version. A couple of years ago, Amazing Stories Magazine approached me for a feature called "Pictures That Paint 1000 Words." They paid me to choose an illustration I had already completed and they would then give it to an unknown author to write a story inspired by the piece. I chose the illustration you see here, an oil painting/shadowbox assemblage that I did for the cover of an unpublished graphic novel back in the late '90s. I was hesitant at first because I didn't know who the author might be. Weeks later, imagine my surprise when I found out that the author who ended up writing an original story based on my illustration was none other than the legendary Jack Williamson! The story was called "Dream of Earth" and it appeared alongside my illustration in Amazing Stories #605. Thanks again, Jack. Count me as just one more amongst the millions of folks who will never forget you, and were fortunate to be touched by your greatness.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story, John. My first convention was 1973 - AggieCon 4. The Guests of Honor were Jack Williamson and Chad Oliver. I was in Heaven. I will never forget that event. It changed my life and I have been to at least one SF convention every year since then, including AggieCons 4 - 37. I now sell books to the children (and some grandchildren) of people I met back then. Jack will be missed.

8:24 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Scott. Yeah, he will be missed. I wish I would've gotten to meet Jack in person. Like I said though, I feel fortunate to have had the brief creative connection that I did.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home