Sunday, April 27, 2008

Back home from the Nebs

(pictured above, L to R, back row: Kyrinn S. Eis; Chris Roberson; Sanford Nowlin; Linda Moorcock; Traci & me; foreground, seated: SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock) Good times with great people at the 2008 Nebula Awards Weekend in Austin this weekend. Quality time with the Moorcocks, Chris Roberson, Joe Lansdale, Diana Gill, Liza Trombi, Anne Sowards, John Denardo, Sanford Nowlin, Jayme Lynn Blaschke, Robin Wayne Bailey, Brad Denton, Steven Gould, and many more. Nebula Awards winners here, but the highlight of the weekend for me was Mike Moorcock being named the 25th Grandmaster of the Science Fiction Writers of America. I had the extreme honor of presenting a tribute speech to him and was thrilled just to be in the room when he received the recognition. I'll post some of my speech in an upcoming post. Hats off to FACT for putting on a well-run Nebula Awards Weekend. For now, here are some pics from the banquet night.

L to R: Bruce Sterling; Michael Chabon; Michael Moorcock


Jasmina & Bruce Sterling


Me, clearly possessed by the spirit of a certain ruby-eyed albino during my tribute speech to Michael Moorcock


Mike Moorcock becomes the 25th Grandmaster of the Science Fiction Writers of America


Joe R. Lansdale and his daughter Kasey

8 Comments:

Blogger Lou Anders said...

Wish I'd been there.

9:18 AM  
Blogger ces said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:26 PM  
Blogger ces said...

What a thrill for you John!

There you were, up in front of everybody, giving a speech about Michael Moorcock! And here I was, cleaning house!

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend after working hard & late the past couple of weeks. A well-deserved mini-vacation.


P.S. Deleted first post - reminder, always proof text before posting.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Art said...

A terrific weekend all around! Good to see you again, John--- are you going to be at World Fantasy?

12:56 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Lou -- Me too!

Hi, Christine -- Yeah, it was quite an honor to be up there, since Mike's BEHOLD THE MAN was the first book I ever did a cover for....it was a thrill to be there.

Hi, Michael -- Yup, I'll be at WFC. Hey, I loved your tux on Nebula Night. Looked good, man!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Diane Turnshek said...

Great write-up and pictures. Thanks for posting.

I wish Lou Anders had been there, too. I would have challenged him to a game of pool in the hospitality suite.

I wish I'd had a chance to talk to everyone there. Your introduction was stellar--what a great speaker! Thanks for all the work of pulling it together.

4:58 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Diane. I appreciate it. Yeah, I wish Lou would've been there too. He would've dug it for sure....we'll be at Worldcon/Denver for sure, if you're gonna be there. Pool tables should be mandatory in con hospitality suites....

10:27 PM  
Blogger Timeshadows said...

Hi,

Where is the photo?

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home