Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Remembering Jamie

It's getting late here after a long day, and it's gonna be a long night of work ahead. Still, I can't let this day pass without remembering Jamie Bishop. Virginia Tech dedicated today to the memory of those who passed in last year's tragedy, and Jamie was one of them. I never knew Jamie. We never met. He was a fellow cover illustrator for Golden Gryphon Press and his father was the sf author Michael Bishop. Fragile as those connections are, they were enough to really hit home with me as an sf illustrator myself. The single thing I will always associate with Jamie's memory will not be the Virginia Tech events, but this headline about him in a Roanoke newspaper: "Jamie Bishop: He talked about changing the world with art." I think about that on nights like tonight when I've got tight deadlines and the pressure's on. Here's to you, Jamie.

4 Comments:

Blogger ces said...

Oh, wow. I will remember him also. And his father.

5:40 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Christine. :)

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Jamie's dad, and I'm grateful to you, John, for once again thinking of our son on the anniversary of the day of Jamie's death, and indeed of the day of so many other vibrant human beings' senseless murders.

1:20 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Hi, Michael --

And we'll continue to remember him.

Peace and best wishes to you and your family,
John

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home