Thursday, May 08, 2008

MYRIAD UNIVERSES

Looks like my cover art for two STAR TREK: MYRIAD UNIVERSE books has leaked into cyberspace this week. So I guess it's OK to post it here. The top picture is the cover illo for a July release called STAR TREK: MYRIAD UNIVERSES -- INFINITY'S PRISM, which features alternate universe TREK stories by Christopher L. Bennett, William Leisner, and James Swallow.

The bottom one here is for an August release called STAR TREK: MYRIAD UNIVERSES -- ECHOES & REFRACTIONS, which features more goodness by Keith R. A. DeCandido, Chris Roberson, and Geoff Trowbridge. Marco Palmieri, Pocket Books' senior editor and STAR TREK overseer, sent me the following comment that Geoff dropped on a discussion board yesterday, "Whereas some artists work in oils or watercolors, Picacio's medium of choice is comprised entirely of awesome." I got a good laugh out of that one....much appreciated, Geoff. :) Shoutout to Keith for his recent Scribe Awards nominations, and add another notch in the Roberson/Picacio collaboration list, which always makes me happy.

5 Comments:

Blogger ces said...

Well, they are awesome!

I even recognize a couple of the people, even though I'm not a Star Trek fan.

How many of these are you doing?

Cheers!
Christine

11:45 AM  
Blogger Therin of Andor said...

Hi John,

I blogged about these covers last week. Thanks for the wonderful portrait of Thelin the blue Andorian!

He even has the same facial features as his animated counterpart in the animated episode, "Yesteryear". We were wondering who you used as the "model"?

8:53 AM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Hi, Therin --

Very happy to hear that you're pleased with the covers. That makes me happy, as you know this material inside-out.

Answer to your question: my portrait of Thelin is based on two reference points: 1. the animated version of him (you're correct on that one); 2. a good friend of mine, Jeff Lucas, who lives here in San Antonio....Jeff's a diehard Trekkie connoisseur from way back, and I thought it would be cool to use his face as the model for Thelin, plus it didn't hurt that he had certain facial features that echoed the animated version.

'Hope that helps.....thanks again for all the kind words! :)

9:45 AM  
Blogger Therin of Andor said...

That's fantastic!

Consider me a Jeff Lucas groupie!

And thanks for responding so quickly.

1:56 AM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

No problem, Therin. I'll pass the good word on to Jeff! :)

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home