Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Art of Living

The photo you see here isn't my work or my studio. This is the studio of Barnet "Barney" Edelman, and his last painting. Today's my mother's birthday, and while I certainly don't need prompting to appreciate her greatness, I've had a couple of recent reminders of the value of appreciating what I have while I have it. Today, I received an email from author and SCI FI editor Scott Edelman. He reported the passing of Barney who was a veteran art director at McGraw Hill and Scott's dad. He asked that his father be remembered and while I normally wouldn't mention friends' private matters here, it's the least I can do since Scott requested it. This image of Barney's last painting really hit home and gave me pause this morning. The picture speaks for itself, doesn't it? I'll leave the tributes to Scott who wrote a beautiful memorial to his dad.

My pal Bob Eggleton lost his mom last week and I still think about him days after it happened. He posted a photo of he and his mom from his wedding day, and knowing him, I bet her memory will fuel his paintings in ways the rest of us can't imagine.

Continued best thoughts and sincere condolences go out to Scott, Bob, and their families. Today's a work day like any other here, but tonight when I see my mother, I'll hug her a little longer and stay a little later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Charles said...

My condolences and happy birthday to your mom!

7:47 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Charles. Much appreciated.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home