Tuesday, March 09, 2010

THE DEVIL IN GREEN

Here's my final cover illustration for the forthcoming Pyr edition of Mark Chadbourn's THE DARK AGE: BOOK 1 / THE DEVIL IN GREEN. It's the first book of the trilogy that follows Chadbourn's AGE OF MISRULE. The nice thing about THE DARK AGE is that the trilogy can be read as a standalone and doesn't require reading AGE OF MISRULE in order to follow the story. However, reading MISRULE certainly enhances the experience. :) I'm glad I was able to improve the cover art from its initial catalog version. And below, you can see how the finished cover will look when it hits US shelves later this summer.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mair said...

I am "green with envy" - you are SO talented! Love this angle. (All puns intended!) ;-)

10:32 PM  
Blogger ces said...

Very nice! The first thing I said when I saw it was "Age of Misrule" continued.

10:36 AM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Mair! Thanks, Christine! 'Appreciate the feedback. :)

I'm working on the next cover for this series. It's called THE QUEEN OF SINISTER. Trying to juggle that along with the George R. R. Martin calendar work....

Pyr really liked the MISRULE covers so I'm trying to maintain connection with that previous trilogy (which does connect to this one), while still evolving the illustration in a fresh direction. Fingers crossed. :)

11:25 AM  
Blogger Maaschanheem Multiverse Adventure Dreamer said...

Oh!, my goodness! That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!, and the shades of green make it especially resplendent!

I see now that I will be forever amazed and inspired by your new art.

6:35 PM  
Blogger ces said...

Do the queen in purples! Purple is considered the "royal colour," right? Or maybe that's too obvious. But a cover in purple would be dynamite!

12:01 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Joseph! Really appreciate it. :)

Christine -- yeah, that's a good thought. I might have to consider that. It's definitely gonna have some blues to tie back to the second book in the previous trilogy. There's a definite color rhythm happening with these Chadbourn trilogies, but yeah, I'll have to consider if some purples can work their way in.....:)

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home