Sunday, July 30, 2006

R.I.P. David Gemmell


I was really saddened to hear the news of David Gemmell's passing a few days ago. The folks at Ballantine/Del Rey approached me a few years ago and asked me to do a cover for a U.S. mass market paperback edition of Gemmell's ECHOES OF THE GREAT SONG. They wanted a more modern graphic approach for his U.S. editions and at the time, I was incorporating a lot of photography in my finished mixed-media works. They liked this, and they liked that cover, and it led to several other Gemmell covers for me. I think I liked the cover for LEGEND the most (pictured here). These days, I don't favor using much photography in my finished works anymore, but I still like this one. For many Gemmell fans, this is one of his most-beloved works, and I'm glad I was a part of its tradition.

I met David and his wife Stella at San Diego Comic-Con a few years back. He was big and gracious, and he made time for everyone that day. It's the only time I ever had the pleasure to spend time with him, but I'm glad that he left such a legacy of beloved works for generations to enjoy. Condolences to David's family and all associated with him over at Ballantine/Del Rey.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am saddened to hear of his death. Like everyones death I am always a year or two to hear about them. Thankyou for the great covers.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home