Tuesday, October 02, 2007

SON OF MAN / Rough Sketch

Here's the just-completed rough sketch (8.5" x 11", pencil on bond) for the wraparound cover for Pyr's forthcoming edition of Robert Silverberg's classic SON OF MAN. It seems a little strange to publicly display in-progress work while I'm still working out that job for a client. I doubt I'll make a habit of this in future, but I've been having fun chats with Pyr's editorial director Lou Anders about this cover, and we thought it might be fun to share this and see where the final art ends up. So with his consent, voila.

Liner note: I have no idea why, but I've been listening to Led Zeppelin's first album while working on this. "How Many More Times" has been playing a lot while I'm drawing.

Pyr will release the brand-new trade paperback edition of SON OF MAN in 2008.

6 Comments:

Blogger DJK said...

Very intense image! It'd be great to have a book of sketches!

4:17 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, djk. Not a bad idea re: the book of sketches....I'm assuming you saw COVER STORY: THE ART OF JOHN PICACIO, which released last year from MonkeyBrain. Lots of sketches in there, but your idea of a book of sketches only is intriguing. That could be nice.....

Checked out your website Imagi-Nation. Nice! Good luck with it. Bookmarked it and I'll keep an eye on it.

5:45 PM  
Blogger DJK said...

I'll be picking a copy of your book soon: I've looked through it at a bookstore before...it takes a little more of a push to buy an art book compared to a novel...feels like more of a splurge, something you give as a gift...

...I find artists sketches fascinating--maybe they're a step closer to pure idea... to the process of creation.

2:43 AM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Yeah, it could be fun to put together a book of sketches at some point....I was looking at a Jeff Jones sketchbook earlier today....never ceases to amaze....

4:38 PM  
Blogger Charles R. Rutledge said...

Speaking of sketches, if you get a chance, check out the new book of Frank Frazetta's roughs and thumbnails. Rough Work is the title and well worth looking at.
I agree about Jeff Jones. He's an amazing artist who I don't think has received the attention he deserves.

4:57 AM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Charles. Yeah, I'll look for ROUGH WORK at World Fantasy Con....

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home