Monday, December 01, 2008

THE SLEEPING SORCERESS + SPECTRUM 15

Been so busy here that I just realized Michael Moorcock's ELRIC: THE SLEEPING SORCERESS is now available. If you're keeping score at home, this is the third of a six-volume ELRIC trade paperback series from Del Rey. I illustrated the cover and interiors for the first volume. The great Michael Kaluta did the art chores for the second one. THE SLEEPING SORCERESS features cover art by me and interior illustrations by Steve Ellis.

Speaking of Elric, more good news -- SPECTRUM 15: THE BEST IN CONTEMPORARY FANTASTIC ART is now available, and one of my Elric interiors was selected by the Spectrum jury for inclusion. The drawing is from the first ELRIC volume, ELRIC: THE STEALER OF SOULS. I call this piece, "Elric The Damned." It's 11"x17", pencil on crescent board. If you haven't checked out the latest edition of SPECTRUM, you owe it to yourself. Arnie & Cathy Fenner have assembled another amazing showcase, and if you know anyone who loves genre art, SPECTRUM 15's pretty much the best holiday gift I can imagine.

5 Comments:

Blogger ces said...

I swear, SPECTRUM 15 is also the spectrum with the most pages!

But somehow I left it with an un-satisfied feeling. don't know why. So, I put it aside and will revisit it in a couple of weeks.

The quality of the book is, as usual, top notch. Now, how many days are there before the next one is released?

9:34 AM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

I think you're right -- it is the fattest SPECTRUM yet. Did a quick survey of the book when I first bought it, and now I'm slowly going page by page through it a little at a time, a little bit each day. Haven't finished yet. The Book category is about as stacked for quality as I've ever seen it....some amazing stuff there...

8:13 PM  
Blogger ces said...

spent a few hours in downtown Seattle today. Of course, I went into Barnes&Noble. And there, on the end cap with about 5 other featured sf books was ... drum roll ... Elric: The Sleeping Sorceress! And mid-level too, so it was easy to spot. And on the left-hand side. It looks beautiful in person! Congrats!

P.S. I need to post a couple of Pike's Place pictures - need to pull them out of my camera first though. Now, where did I put the instruction book?

11:35 PM  
Blogger leemoyer said...

That B&W is the bomb and it made me happy to see it properly appreciated in the Spectrum. Good on you!

4:40 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

'Appreciate it, Lee....thanks! Saw your piece as well in there....nice work by you, as always. :)

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home