Wednesday, August 12, 2009

13 Days On The Road (Part 4)

Otherwise known as "The Hugos: Faraway So Close". It's an honor to be nominated for the Hugo Award and I've been graced with that recognition five consecutive years for Best Professional Artist. It's rarified air to be on the Hugo ballot any year. I've been fortunate to breathe it in these five years. However, I've never reached the Hugo mountaintop and won the shiny rocketship trophy. I lost again this past Sunday night, finishing in second place. This year, according to the final numbers, I came achingly close, but that doesn't matter. Donato Giancola won the prize, and it's his third Hugo Award in four years. Donato knows how much I respect him and his work, and let me take this opportunity to publicly salute him and offer my heartfelt congrats. He's a friend, a class act all the way, and one of the all-time greats. You earned it, man.

Big congrats out to John Scalzi, Neil Gaiman, David Anthony Durham, Stephen Segal, Ann Vandermeer, Cheryl Morgan, John Klima and all who earned their Hugos this past Sunday night.

As for me, back to the art life. Back to trying to get better as an artist and back to pushing myself a little further every day. Thanks to all who nominated and voted for me this year. I'm deeply honored and very much appreciate it. Many of you came to me with well wishes before and after the process took its course. Thank you. With hard work and luck, perhaps my work will prove worthy of your consideration again in 2010, and if so, we'll see what happens then. Back to work.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the Hugo - I think you're an amazing artist, and with such talent you will only continue to grow. Here's to 2010!

Any more consideration about that Elric art book? It would be a wonderful thing. :)

Speaking of which - a quick question. I've mentioned this on Mike's site, but figured I'd just ask you. Is it by coincidence only that some of your Elric art in Stealer of Souls looks a bit like Laurence Fox (husband of Billie Piper)? Was watching him on TV, and I thought, 'wow! That looks like Elric hiding from the monster behind the tree...' lol.

Anyway, thought I'd ask. Hope all is well! You should stop by Mallozzi's or Moorcock's and say howdy again! Have a great one, sir!

das (dasNdanger)

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home