Monday, June 18, 2007

And the 2007 Locus Award for Best Artist goes to....

me. Wow! My return trip home from the Locus Awards/Science Fiction Museum & Hall of Fame Induction Weekend was loaded with airport delays and snafus, but that still couldn't dampen the joy I still feel over this honor. I'm home now, and sincerely grateful to all of the Locus readers who made this possible, especially considering that more folks vote in this poll than the Hugos or the Nebulas. That's incredibly humbling, and I'm really blown away by this whole thing. Thank you so much. I'll just keep working over here, and keep trying to get better.

It's really late right now and I'm dead-tired....a few photos from the last couple of days....
The Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame located near the Space Needle in Seattle....site of the SFM Induction Ceremony where Ed Emshwiller, Gene Wolfe, Gene Roddenberry, and Ridley Scott were inducted into the Hall of Fame this weekend






Super-cool signage near the entry to the Science Fiction Hall of Fame






Me saying a few words about the greatness of Ed Emshwiller as he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame (photo courtesy of Christopher Carey)





Eileen Gunn and me, post-ceremony, in front of the SFM's Hall of Fame wall....Eileen represented the Emshwillers in accepting Ed's HOF induction (photo courtesy of Leslie Howle)

And there it is....the 2007 Locus Award for Best Artist. Wow. Try this list on for size...this is the list of past Artist winners in the Locus Awards' 37-year history....Leo & Diane Dillon, Frank Kelly Freas, Rick Sternbach, Boris Vallejo, Bob Eggleton, Michael Whelan....and now me. I think the best thing I can do at this point is go get some sleep and get back to work. Again -- sincere thanks to everyone out there, and I'm so incredibly proud to be part of this year's list of Locus Award Winners. :)

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeeeeeehaaaaawwww! This is thrilling! Congrats, dude!

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That were me, Frank Wu

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're the best!

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, John--you're in good company, there!

Definitely deserving of the praise, and I hope it keeps coming your way.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Lou Anders said...

HUGE congratulations!

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously fans appreciate the hard work that makes one of your covers so special. Congrats!

12:06 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Hi, folks --

I really appreciate it all around. Thanks so much to all of you guys. Yeah, I'm still on Cloud 9.....I don't think it's sunk in yet. I figure it's probably best not to wait for that, and just get back to work....:)

Again, many thanks!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful news! Congrats!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations, John! Hope to see you up in Austin soon.

8:47 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Dia....it was really cool. Hope to see some photos from your trip when you get a chance.....maybe over there on your Journal? Hope you had a great time...

8:51 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Hi, Andy! Yeah, I'm hoping to be at Armadillocon again this year. Because of a family commitment on the Saturday of the show, I'll probably only be there for all of Friday, and then Saturday morning to early afternoon. So I'll leave early, but hopefully we'll connect then! :)

8:54 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

FANTASTIC JOHN!!!! This is great news! Locus Awards(when you have more than one, you call them Locii)are fun and Charlie enjoys giving them out...again, congrats!

8:19 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Bob! I appreciate it very much. Very proud to be in that final five with you, Donato, Michael, and Charles. See you in Yokohama. :)

11:33 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

John,

Big congratulations! I'm very glad to hear about this. It's especially nice as I got to know you and your work, and I know how passionate you are about your art. This is clearly well-deserved. All the best for the future as well!

David.

5:07 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Big D. Looks like Doubleday sure is treating you well. Big splashy ad for ACACIA in the July issue. Nice.

12:03 PM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

of LOCUS MAGAZINE, that is. :)

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home