Friday, March 27, 2009

Massive Stephen King Art Book!

Remember the gigantic H.P. Lovecraft art book that blew everyone away (me included) last year? Well, the publisher of that book, Centipede Press, is back again with KNOWING DARKNESS: ARTISTS INSPIRED BY STEPHEN KING. The book is in production right now, and the image at left by Michael Whelan is apparently NOT the final cover image, according to Centipede Press' website. Last year's Lovecraft art book had spectacular production values, and I imagine this new King art book will have the same quality, when it releases in November.

I've been commissioned to do an all-new 'SALEM'S LOT illustration, exclusively for this book. My wife is a longtime fan of Stephen King's books and when Jerad Walters hired me to do an original illustration for the book, he asked which King work I'd like to illustrate most. I immediately phoned Traci and let her make the choice. 'SALEM'S LOT was one of her all-time faves, so that was my pick, and it was a good one. Check out this list of artists also contributing originals: THE DARK TOWER (Michael Whelan); "One for the Road" (Stephen Gervais); IT (Bob Eggleton); THE SHINING (Douglas Smith); HEARTS IN ATLANTIS (Les Edwards); DUMA KEY (Don Maitz); "The Lawnmower Man" (Jason Eckhardt); THE TOMMYKNOCKERS (Alex McVey); BLACK HOUSE and CELL (Zach McCain); "Weeds" and THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON (David Ho); and more. Can't wait to see the rest of these originals! I'll unveil mine when it's finished. :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Can't wait to see what you do for Salem's Lot!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love Stephen King. When his "On Writing" book came out I wrote something for his little contest -- and wound up winning. This was before I'd sold anything professionally. It gave me a real boost. Those short stories King published in the men's magazines back in the 70s were great. As for 'Salam's Lot, that book scared the hell out of me. But more than that, I responded to his use of language and his sense of structure and pacing. He was still feeling his way toward his strongest voice, but the scope of his ambition impressed me. I knew he was something special.

2:15 AM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Hi, Mair -- Will definitely post it here when it's done. :)

Hi, Jack -- Wow, very cool that you won that contest. Yeah, I'd never read 'SALEM'S LOT before I got this assignment. Great book!

7:47 AM  
Blogger testdrive05 said...

congrats on the opportunity to do such a awesome piece of artwork! I sure hope that you incorporate your own ways it looks to you, Ill definatly have to checkout your final picture.

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home